Board Certified Internal Medicine located in Chittenango, NY & Dewitt, NY
Heart disease is the leading cause of death in American men and women, but many heart disease risk factors are preventable. At Kudos Medical in Chittenango and Dewitt, New York, Ife Ojugbeli, MD, and the team help prevent or treat heart disease, lengthen your life expectancy, and enhance your overall quality of life. Call Kudos Medical to learn more or book an appointment online today.
Heart Disease Q & A
What is heart disease?
Heart disease, or cardiovascular disease, is a chronic disease that describes numerous conditions that affect your heart. You have heart disease if you’re diagnosed with:
- Coronary artery disease
- Other blood vessel diseases that narrow or block blood vessels
- Heart rhythm, heart muscle, or valve problems
- Heart defects
Heart disease can lead to chest pain, heart attack, or stroke, which can be life-threatening.
What causes heart disease?
Your genetic makeup puts you at risk for developing heart disease in some cases, but many heart disease risk factors are preventable. Common risk factors include:
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- High cholesterol
- Lack of exercise
- Older age or family history of heart disease
- Some radiation or chemotherapy drugs
- A diet high in saturated fat, added sugar, or sodium
Some heart disease risk factors, such as older age or family history of heart disease, can’t be helped. But eating a healthy diet, avoiding tobacco products, getting regular exercise, and maintaining a healthy body weight can help lower your risk of heart disease.
What are the symptoms of heart disease?
Symptoms of heart disease vary based on what’s causing the disease but generally may include:
- Chest pain, discomfort, chest tightness, or pressure
- Shortness of breath
- Pain in your neck, throat, jaw, back, or upper abdomen
- Pain, tingling, coldness, or numbness in your arms or legs
- Dizziness or lightheadedness
- Fluttering in your chest
- A slowed or racing heartbeat
- Swelling in the legs
If you experience any of these symptoms, especially chest pain, fainting, or shortness of breath, seek immediate medical care.
What is the treatment for heart disease?
The team at Kudos Medical combines the best of traditional medicine and alternative medicine to meet each patient’s unique health care needs. Your heart disease treatment plan may include:
- Making healthy lifestyle changes
- Taking medications
- Medical procedures or surgery
Lifestyle changes include planning healthy meals that are low in saturated fat and sodium using the latest dietary research, getting at least 30 minutes of exercise daily, maintaining a healthy weight, quitting smoking, and avoiding or limiting alcohol consumption.
If you’re ready for a holistic approach to heart disease prevention or treatment, call Kudos Medical or book a consultation online today.